Sunday, August 5, 2007

Washington

We just finished sound check at the Big Easy in Spokane, WA and the venue is amazing. It is a one million dollar 3 year old club that is 3 stories tall with a dance floor, huge stage, great sound system and lots 'o lights. Last nights show in Seattle went really well too and my friend Ross Simonini made it out. He plays bass for a band called Trespassers William and used to be the bassist in Gravity Willing, another band I worked with. When I called Ross to tell him I was at the venue, I was only half looking at my phone and I called his Dad's line in Marin. Ross likes to mess with people on the phone and in person so when I said "Hi Ross, it's Mike" and the person on the other end of the line said "Who?" is thought it was just Ross being Ross. I responded in a husky, creepy voice, "You know that one night in college you wanted to forget? It's me." At this point the line was crackling a lot so I said I would call back. I called back and again greeted "Ross" at which point the person on the other end said "Who are you trying to reach?" I said, Ross Simonini, and the voice said, he doesn't live here, he lives in Seattle. So....sorry Mr. Simonini.

Ross was really singing Seattle's praises and I could see why. For some of Copeland's set I walked around taking pictures and I saw; single speed bicycle riders racing around tennis courts, people playing basketball, tennis, dancing to 1920's music and a small music festival. Keep in mind, this is all in a 10 block round trip walk at 9 pm. It all seemed very accessible, like activities are out in the open not something you have to be in the know to be aware of. We had a late night last night and the buss pulled out this morning at 5 am for Spokane and we have been in this awesome, AIR CONDITIONED, venue all day. I can wait for the show.

No comments: